General Information about the Madison Area Serenity Intergroup
The Madison Intergroup is a fellowship of local meetings that exists primarily to reach out to sex addicts in South Central Wisconsin. It also supports individual groups in a variety of ways (see below) and supports the efforts of the ISO (International Service Organization of SAA). The Intergroup is made up of SAA members from local meetings.
Local meetings participate in Intergroup through electing an Group Service Representative who will commit to attending monthly Intergroup meetings. Intergroup Reps serve their local meetings by seeking their group’s conscience on local issues and sharing that group conscience to the Intergroup when appropriate. Reps also bring information from Intergroup back to their local groups. Intergroup Reps can also transmit excess 7th Tradition funds from the local group to Intergroup at the monthly Intergroup meeting.
The general purpose of Intergroup is to pool the efforts of groups to more effectively reach out to sex addicts. Some of the ways Intergroup does this is by:
- Exchanging meeting information and maintaining a local area meeting list to provide more options for recovery;
- Distributing meeting lists to area therapists and others who might be in contact with struggling sex addicts;
- Maintaining a local area website, phone line, and PO Box
- Planning local events such as the spring and fall conferences;
- Maintaining an inventory of literature for distribution by local meetings without charge;
- Pooling excess group funds to more effectively reach out to sex addicts;
- Donating a portion of 7th Tradition funds to ISO in the form of monthly Lifeline Partner payments;
- Organizing groups and individuals for outreach efforts;
- Providing a forum where groups can access the collective wisdom and experience of many groups;
- Discussing and distributing information about fellowship-wide issues; and
- Providing an opportunity for SAA members to make a service commitment outside of their weekly meetings.
The Madison Intergroup consists of representatives from groups in South Central Wisconsin. This currently includes Madison, Monona, Fitchburg, Watertown, and Janesville.
In order for Intergroup to be effective, it needs representation from as many groups as possible. Every individual meeting is invited to elect and send an Group Service Representative to represent their meeting at Intergroup. If your group is not currently represented on Intergroup, we invite you to send a representative selected by your group conscience. However, all SAA members are welcome to attend whether representing a meeting or not. Meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday of every month at Bethel Luthern Church (312 Wisconsin Ave) at 6 pm in room 205.